Thursday, November 7, 2019

What Do You Mean This Isn't Blended Learning???


image from 123RF
Have you ever heard this… “We use the computers a lot so we are already doing blended learning.”  You and I both know that there is more to blended learning than just adding some computers to the
mix or we would have been doing blended learning back in the 1980s every time we played Oregon Trail on the one and only computer in the back of the classroom, right?

Blended learning is not about technology.  It’s a meta-strategy used to help personalize the learning for all students.  Really the reason that computers need to be brought into the mix is because 1 teacher in a room with 30 kids can’t do it alone.  The computer becomes a way for the teacher to multiply his/herself in order to work with students in smaller groups or even 1-to-1.  Now, let’s not get carried away to the other extreme and decide that blended learning is putting a student on a software program and letting them learn completely online.  This has a name, but that name is not blended learning.  This becomes either enriched virtual or full on virtual learning.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not bad-mouthing this type of learning. There are situations where this is necessary and works well. But we're talking about blended learning in your regular old 21st century classroom.

Let’s dig in and take a look at blended learning vs. tech integration.  Tech integration is great and can be very useful and engaging in the classroom.  One useful example of tech integration is by providing students with an online test or quiz. This is helpful because it can help you get grades done either instantly or more quickly and students can get feedback much quicker.  If I did this at the end of a unit for a summative grade, then this is just tech integration.  It was useful, but it didn’t meet any of the criteria for blended learning.  

So, let’s look at our blended learning image again and think about how we can use this same example in a blended learning model.  First, I need data.  That’s easy.  I will have data readily available after the students take the test or quiz.  Then I need to take that a step further and use that data to guide flexibility in pace, place, path or time to personalize the learning.  So, how can I change the scenario to meet this expectation? I could switch up my summative test and make it a pre-assessment to provide starting point data. Now I can use this data to guide how I group students and how I offer flexibility to each group. Maybe a group that is really struggling needs to spend more time with me, the teacher, to get more direct instruction.  Others who have a stronger foundation in the new unit might be successful with a teacher-made video that they can watch then get started on their activity.  Others might not even need a video, but instead they may need some other options that challenge them.  By incorporating the use of technology, I am able to multiply myself as a teacher and meet the needs of more students at one time.

image from 123RF
Now I bet you are wondering, what is the magic formula to know that a lesson is blended and not tech integration. There isn't a magic formula, but you can definitely ask some questions about the lesson using the image above as a guide.  First, are you using some type of data to drive decisions on students needs, groups and activities?  Second, how are you offering flexibility in pace, place, path or time?

Let's look at another example and use these questions to guide our decision.  I set up 3 stations that my students will rotate through.  Station 1 is a video with questions.  Station 2 is a computer simulation game.  Station 3 is a worksheet to practice the concepts.  I will be walking around and answering questions.  Is this blended learning?  Well, let's take a look.  Did I use any type of data to inform my groups or the work each group is doing?  When looking at this scenario, I don't see any data being used.  Already I can tell that this is not blended learning because I did not use data, but let's look a the next question just for fun.  Did I offer any flexibility in the stations based on the data?  Again the answer is no.  All the students are doing the same 3 stations just in a different order.  This is not flexibility.  There is no purpose or reason for the stations other than having students working together in groups as they complete the tasks.

When creating blended learning lessons, just remember to keep these questions at the forefront of your mind and you'll have a great way to gauge if your lesson is tech integration or blended learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment